Saturday, January 18, 2014

¡Hasta La Vista Los Estados Unidos!

What a week!  

First off...My mom is crazy!!!  Last Saturday, we finally got to go to the temple.  As a zone, we boarded a bus and went up to the temple to do a session together.  Afterwards, 3 of the sisters and I walked back to Wyview and got ready to go to Brigham's landing.  As we began to walk to lunch, I heard a very noticeable cat call off to my right side.  The first time, I tried to ignore it thinking that there was some creep in the road catcalling the sister missionaries.  I thought it would be best to not even look over there or pay any attention to it and I continued to walk.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a big white car pull into the median and once again I heard a cat call.  White van...cat call...you could say I was a little scared.  My first instinct should've been to run but I decided to glance over to see who it was.  As I looked over, I saw that the 'creep' was my own mom half hanging out of the window.  I stopped and my jaw dropped.  The words that came out of my mouth were, "Are...you...serious!?"  I could not believe that my mom was right there in front of me.  After what seemed like 5 minutes of just standing there speechless, I jumped over the snow-packed curb and ran out into the middle of the busy road.  I reached my arms through the open window, hugged her, and gave her the biggest kiss on the cheek I have ever given.  With tears in our eyes, we said bye and she began to drive away.  A few seconds later she stuck her head out of the window and said, "I promise I'll stop stalking you!" followed by a, "This is the last time I will ever see you again!".  I'd would like to take a moment to reassure you mom, that I will only be gone for another 17 months and that, listen carefully, I AM ALIVE!  Later that night at dinner, I was stopped by a group of Elders and Sisters.  They asked, "Hey!  Is your name Hermana Ingram?!"  I said yes and they informed me that they had met  my mom at the temple earlier that morning.  Yes yes...she had gone to the temple on a rampant search for her daughter.  Oh mother... They continued by telling me my life's story.  Can you tell that my mom misses me maybe a little?  I wouldnt be surprised if when I go to Mexico she follows me there!  I feel the love mom!  And I love you....craziness and all!


This week's TRC was awesome!  We got to skype a sweet hispanic lady from Mexico. It was
definitely different than our normal face-to-face conversations but it was still a lot of fun.  When I sit 
back and think about it, I am amazed that my companion and I can skype a lady in Mexico who only speaks Spanish and have a full on 45 minute discussion.  I'm amazed!  

Once again, Elder Bednar and his wife spoke to us for Tuesday Devotional.  He was the last person we expected since he had come for Christmas.  He told us how he had received over 1000 questions from Christmas and he decided that for his talk he would choose a few more and talk about those.  As a choir we got to sing "Nearer My God To Thee".  It was sad thinking that that was our last time singing with the choir.  We sang our absolute hardest to make up for it.  

Wednesday was Visa Day!  Mom, you can stop sweating bullets now!  At about 10:00, about 20 of us missionaries boarded a bus and headed to the Trax Station near the old Tabernacle.  The whole top floor of the train was filled with missionaries.  
We rode it to the Mexican Consulate in SLC.  When we got there, it felt like we had been dropped of in the most ghetto and scary part of Salt Lake.  I felt like I was in a different world or something.  Everything seemed rough...I don't know if it really was or if it just seemed that way considering I've been in a missionary bubble for the past month.  We walked into the consulate (the front door had bullet holes in it) and we all sat down.  A little hispanic lady called each of us up, one by one, to get our pictures taken and to get finger prints.  I felt like a criminal or something.  Us missionaries were the only white people in the whole place and none of the people there spoke very much English  When we had all been called up, one of the workers, who stood about 5'5", got up and stood in front of us.  In his Hispanic accent he said, "Now I have a few things I am required to say to you before you leave..."  He paused and then pointed right at me and said, "Don't steal the pretty Mexican boys from our country."  I expected him to laugh and continue with something more serious but instead he turned around and walked away without saying a word.
I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I LEAVE FOR MEXICO MONDAY!  This month has flown by!  It feels like yesterday that I was the scared little missionary being dropped off at the MTC.  I'm definitely going to miss the MTC and I'll especially miss all of the people I've met and the friends I've made. However, Monday starts the journey that I came here to begin.  It's going to be a wake up call for sure considering no one will speak English.  I'll probably have a companion that doesn't speak a lick of English.  I finally get to eat REAL food and not cafeteria food...HALLELUJAH!   I'm nervous but I know that there are people to meet and places to go!  It's weird to think that from here on out I'll be writing home from Mexico.  I CAN'T WAIT!  ¡"Estoy muy animada!  ¡Les quiero mucho!  ¡Hasta la vista los Estados Unidos!  ¡Hola Mexico!  
Last Gym Time


Consulate Trip

1 comment:

  1. Oh Amie! You crack me up! I probably would have stalked Chandler too if he had been in the Provo MTC! <3

    ReplyDelete