Monday, June 23, 2014

Week 23 GOLDEN June 23, 2014


Hola familia y amigos!

Another week came and went! Time really does fly on the mission!
Not much happened this week...

Our recent convert, Liliana,  got confirmed this Sunday (which just so happened to be her birthday). She was super excited that she got to get the gift of the Holy Ghost on her birthday...she kept telling us that it was the greatest gift anyone could have given her on her birthday.
We bought Liliana a cake for her birthday. She was BEYOND happy!
We´ve mostly spent the week searching for new investigators...which means a lot of contacting in the streets and a lot of door-knocking. The tricky part is getting people to actually listen and accept an appointment! The women usually just keep walking saying, ¨otro día¨. The men on the other hand....well....they REALLY want to hear from us (if you know what I mean) haha. When we knock doors we get a lot of people that open their door, see us, cross themselves, mumble a few words about the Virgin Mary, and slam the door in our faces...ya we've gotten really used to that and for some reason it cracks me up every time. haha.

The other day we were walking to an appointment with some investigators and we were running a little late. We were walking along a narrow side walk so we were forced to walk in a single file line....and we were booking it. I got to the house, stopped, turned around, and my companion was NO WHERE in sight... My heart sank and I quickly got out the phone, ready to call my district leader. My first thought was that she had been stolen and I couldn't help but imagine what it would be like to have to call my mission president and tell him that I had lost my companion! I started walking back to where I came from...3 blocks...and nothing. She was GONE! I kept walking and walking literally about to have a panic attack...and that's when I saw her...she was talking to a few people on the street. Apparently the people had gotten her attention while we were walking and asked her who we were and what we did. She had tried to get my attention but I hadn't heard her and had went on my way... haha. She assumed that in a few minutes I would turn around and notice...little did she know I would continue walking for another 8 blocks before I noticed! As we walked back to the investigator's house, the people across the street were laughing and yelling "you thought you lost her didn't you!" They had seen the whole thing play out...and I bet they could tell I was absolutely panicked..haha.
Mole: This is a very traditional plate here in Mexico. Corn tortillas covered in mole, chicken, cheese, and crema (kind of like sour cream) There are a lot of different types of mole. This is brewn mole and it's made out of a bout 20 different types of ground cup chili and, if it's brown, the key ingredient is chocolate....yes, I said chocolate. It takes a few tries to get used to but I've grown to really like it. 
It is definitely the rainy season here! It starts at about 5:00PM and doesn't end until the next morning at about 6:00AM. You'd think it would slow down the work but it's actually pretty helpful. Who doesn't want to let two wet, cold, suffering, white girls in their house?? And even better....we come with a life-changing message! haha

We started teaching the Family Lopez about 2 weeks ago....one word: GOLDEN. For example: their entire family came to church this Sunday and as I was setting up chairs for class the mom came up to me with a tithing slip and asked me to explain to her how to fill it out. P.S. we haven't taught them tithing quite yet. I explained it to her but told her that she didn't need to worry about it until after her baptism...she looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Los diezmos son importantes! Es un mandamiento! Vamos a pagar nuestro diezmo!" (Tithes are important! It is a commandment! We will pay our tithing!) They are amazing! They're the type of people that make all the hard times in the mission totally worth it!

That's about all for this week. I love you all to the moon and back! Keep up the good work!

¡Viva México!

Hermana Ingram

No comments:

Post a Comment