Monday, August 4, 2014

Week 29 Crickets Taste like Peanuts August 4, 2014


My favorite candy in Mexico
¡Hola!

Another GREAT week!

Monday we had an awesome FHE with the Lopez family. Hermana Lopez is already the member of all members. She has about 3 weeks as a member and she's already kicking everyone's trash! She put on a family home evening like no one's ever seen! A mormon message, game, dinner (Pozole...my FAVORITE food here in Mexico), and a dessert activity. She does it better than my family (no offense mom,;))!



This week has been great. We didn't have to spend hours and hours searching for people to teach. Almost every house we went to opened up and we were able to get a lesson in. The best is when you go to a contact's house, knock, and they come and say, "Pasense"....you kind of have to think twice...did they REALLY just invite me in??

Tuesday we ended the day going to the Ayala Family's house and the Elders came to do the baptismal interviews. Do you have any idea how good it feels to fill out 6 cedulas???!!!! They were a little mad though....they wanted "Hermana Ingram" to baptize them and were pretty devastated when I told them that I couldn't. haha

My companion and I have been waking up early for the past two weeks to go running...(not going to lie...I kind of force her to...haha). Thursday we got up early as usual and headed outside to run. I started running down the street, hit the end and started making my way back when I heard footsteps behind me. (Let me remind you that at 6:00AM it's pitch black) I turned around to see what was behind me to see a homeless man running towards me at full speed. Can you say....scary!!!??? I started to run faster but to no use...you would have thought Usaine Bolt was behind me; this guy was fast! He caught up to me and began running on my right side. I looked at him and the expression on his face was priceless...he was looking straight ahead with the biggest, toothless smile I've ever seen...pure joy. I could tell he wasn't going to do me any harm so I kept running and he kept right up with me. When I got to the other end of the block I thought he'd just keep going when I turned around...but NOPE! He turned around with me and exercised with me the rest of the morning...smiling the entire time. I should put on a homeless man exercising program here or something. haha.

I ate crickets this week! They weren't all that bad either! Once I got the thought of eating bugs out of my mind they tasted a lot like salted peanuts but a little crunchier. Patricio (the Lopez's 2 year old son) was eating them by the handful! Apparently he confuses the dead ones for the live ones he finds outside and eats those too....yuck!

Highlight of the week: After a lot of blood, sweat and tears (literally) we baptized the Ayala family this week! We were supposed to baptize 6 of them but two of them had to work...hopefully we can get things worked out for next week:)

That's about it for this week! LES AMO MUCHÍSIMO!

Hermana Ingram

You know you're a missionary in Mexico when:
1) cat calls become at a 20x a day occurrence
2) you drink more coke in the day than water
3) you forget how to speak English
4) you have to trek barrels of clean drinking water to your house every week
5) you aren't afraid to go inside a strange Mexican man's house

No comments:

Post a Comment