Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Week 38 Temple Trip October 13, 2014

Another week in Mexico City!!

Not a lot happened this week...just the normal day to day mission life. But the highlight of the week was definitely our temple trip (which I'll talk about a little more in my email)


Hermana Lopez and I have had a lot of fun together though! We decided that this week starts our "6 Months to Sexy"...we are starting a little early but we are dead set on it! Haha Hermana Lopez hung a diet statement up on the wall that says, "I don't want to run an ironman or even 10 miles, but I do want to go to space one day. It costs thousands of dollars right now but I hope that eventually it will be $500. And I want to make sure my heart is fit enough to make the trip when I'm 50". I thought it was funny...so I added to the wall : "I may not go to the moon...but I WILL become America´s Next Top Model." We're crazy...but we have fun. Hoping our "6 Months to Sexy" actually lasts.

Thursday was eventful... We decided to contact by knocking a few doors. Let me remind you that every house here in Mexico City has 1 or more dogs...so, coming across a dog is completely normal. We walked up to a house that had a big white gate that you could see into and we noticed that inside was a big black pit-bull. When we knocked and it immediately came to the gate and began barking at us standing on its hind legs...but that's normal! No one came so we decided to knock one more time...the dog backed up and leaped forward into the gate. Its front paws hit the gate and the doors flew wide open. I immediately turned to my companion and began running. All I could imagine was that at any second I was going to feel the jaws of that dog latched onto my ankle. It was a race between us and that giant black pit-bull. Then I heard the dog cry out as it got yanked back by its chain. Thank goodness it was chained up or we would've been dead meat! I immediately started laughing along with about 50 other Mexicans in the street who had seen it all play out. That was SCARY! Later, we were contacting a lady in the street and as I was talking to her, from over her shoulder, I saw a lady stop with her daughter in front of a street drain. She grabbed her daughter by the armpits, pulled down her pants, and helped her as she peed into the drain. So there I was trying to contact a lady with a girl peeing in the background...Oh the things people do here in Mexico...

Friday I completed 10 months! Woo hoo! Time sure does fly! Despite completing 10 months...it actually turned out to be one of the hardest days I've had on my mission. It turned out to be a series of very unfortunate events...but ANYWAY....I said a billion prayers asking God to help me get through the day. It wasn't until later in the day that I felt I got my answer. A random family from off of the street invited us in and fed us dinner...it sounds normal...but I was SO HAPPY. They were the nicest people ever and they were complete strangers! It's amazing how even the smallest acts of kindness can completely turn your day around. I was so grateful for that family and that answer to my prayer.

On Saturday I got a call from the zone leaders and they invited me to a baptism they were going to have that night. I don't know if I ever mention this but a few weeks ago they called me up and asked me if I would do them a favor...they wanted me to come to their area and teach one of their investigators that wasn't progressing. I was really surprised that they wanted me to do it out of all people...but I agreed, went to their area, taught him, and put a baptismal date. And that was that! Turns out he took a complete 180 and started progressing so I was happy to go to his baptism! It was pretty awesome and it was great to see him so happy.

Yesterday we passed for Perla (one of our recent converts) and her husband (who still needs to be confirmed) but he had left and gone to his mom's house. Let me explain...yesterday while teaching Perla, she completely broke down in tears. Vidal is another machista in Mexico... He treats her so badly it's ridiculous... Her 2 daughters came into the room and asked why she was crying and she quickly wiped her tears away and said that she had accidentally gotten soap in her eyes. We finished and we prayed and she was bawling her eyes out. She hugged my comp and cried into her shoulder for a good 3 minutes. It was SUPER sad. Anyway, he wasn't home when we passed because he had left and gone to his mom's house. I figured out where his mom lived and went there to try and find him. We knocked on the door, and a teenage girl opened. We asked if Vidal was there and she told me she didn't know who Vidal was...I wasn't up for playing games at the time and I kind of called her out and asked her to please stop lying to our faces. She rolled her eyes and closed the door. A few minutes later the door opened and his sister came out and told us that Vidal didn't live there...I know that lady! But he's here! She told us that she hasn't seen him in months...she was very obviously lying...but we couldn't do anything about it. We'll have to search for him this week and see what we can do.

BUT Leticia got confirmed! So at least one thing went well! We also had planned an activity to go to the temple with all of our recent converts and a few less actives. We rented a micro (a small bus) and made the trip to the temple with all of them. It was a great experience and they absolutely LOVED it! The visitor's center here is AMAZING! So, we ended the day on a very good note:)
 

That's about all that happened this week! Hoping to have a better week this next week! Thanks for your thoughts and prayers! I am beyond grateful for every single one of you!

¡Viva México!

Hermana Ingram

No comments:

Post a Comment