Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Week 53 (59) January 26, 2014

Hermanas Ingram, Bennett, and Benson
​¡Hola!

This week has been pretty uneventful. Just a normal week in Mexico City! ​

This week we once again have been focusing on helping the recent converts progress. Our goal is that each and every one of them can enter the temple as a family in a year. It's a lot of hard work but there is nothing more gratifying than seeing them progress. Speaking of progress...The Lopez family is blowing everyone out of the water! Hermana Lopez just got called as 2nd counselor in the Relief Society presidency, her husband got called as 1st counselor in the Elders Quorum presidency, their sons Ivan and Luis are both in the young men's presidencies. How awesome is that!! Just looking at them you'd think they had been members for years now!

Ernesto Ayala is preparing to receive the Melchizedek priesthood. (He has had the Aaronic priesthood for a while now.) His only downfall is that he hates wearing ties! (I'd say that's a pretty good downfall to have;)) But, I finally got him to wear a tie this Sunday!!
Ernesto and his tie
Tuesday I had to go to immigration to renew my Visa. And, I didn't have any Visa problems! So I'm good for another year here!

Thursday we helped the Ayala family move furniture. I'm sure the people in the streets were wondering what a white American girl in a skirt was doing carrying furniture down the street...they kept giving me weird looks. But it was fun! Ernesto insisted on giving me a ride on the dolly....of course I let him.


Culture note: Medicine. You wouldn't believe the remedies people come up with here. Bad cut or scrape? Lemon and salt will do the trick....it only hurts a little...NOT! A lady once told me that her mom got cancer from drinking a hot drink and an ice cream in the same hour..no joke. They believe Coke to be medicine...stomach ache? Coke. Feeling dizzy? Coke. Sore throat? A cup of vinegar will do the trick. Do you get sick frequently? Cactus smoothie. The other day I was told that watermelon was super unhealthy because it contains a lot of "grasa" (grease/fat). What?! And if you need a prescription, why go to the doctor when you can just prescribe yourself and buy it in the Tianguis for a few pesos?

I love you all to the moon and back! Only about 4 months to go! I'll see you all before you know it!! 
¡Les extraño!

Hermana Ingram

(FYI...we have heard from two American girls who have received calls to the Mexico City Southeast Mission. They won't arrive until after Hailey gets home. This is exciting because we had heard that they wouldn't be sending anymore "güeras")

No comments:

Post a Comment